I pulled a summary out of a winning sales advice written by John Boe, president of John Boe International.
Here it comes:
There are two categories of body postures: open/closed and forward/back. In an open and receptive body posture, arms are unfolded, legs uncrossed and palms are exposed. In a closed body posture, arms are folded, legs are crossed and the entire body is usually turned away.
- Leaning back and closed = Lack of interest
- Leaning back and open = Contemplation and cautious interest
- Leaning forward and closed = Potential aggressive behaviour
- Leaning forward and open = Interest and agreement
- Head neutral = Neutral and open attitude
- Tilted back = Superior attitude
- Tilted down = Negative and judgmental attitude
- Tilted to one side = Interest
- Eye rub = Deceit, "see no evil"
- Eye roll = Dismissive gesture that indicates superiority
- Looking over top of glasses = Scrutiny and a critical attitude
- Nose rub = Dislike of the subject
- Hand or fingers blocking mouth = Deceit, "speak no evil"
- Chin stroking = Making a decision
- Thumb under chin with index finger pointing vertically along the cheek = Negative attitude and critical judgment
Posted by Digvijay "VJ" Singh Rathore